Imperial Earl Grey & Orange Cake
This delicate and zesty cake is perfect for a weekend afternoon tea. Serve with a pot of S+I Imperial Earl Grey Tea.
3 cups spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup coconut sugar
⅔ cup S+I Imperial Earl Grey Tea-infused coconut oil, solid
2 oranges, zest and juice
1 can full-fat coconut milk
¼ cup almond milk (or other plant-based milk) with 1 tsp vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cup shredded coconut
1 ½ cup icing sugar
2 ½ tbsp orange juice
TEA-INFUSED COCONUT OIL
½ cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil
4 tbsp S+I Imperial Earl Grey Tea
How to Make
MAKE THE TEA-INFUSED COCONUT OIL
In a saucepan, melt the coconut oil just until it becomes liquid. Mix in the tea leaves. Heat on low heat for five minutes. Remove from heat and stand for five minutes. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve, squeezing the tea leaves. Set the coconut oil aside until room temperature, and solid. It may be helpful to put in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
MAKE THE CAKE
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Lightly oil a 20-cm bundt pan.
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and set aside.
3. In another bowl, cream together the sugar and tea-infused oil. Stir in the orange zest and ¼ cup orange juice. Retain the rest of the juice for the glaze. Add the coconut milk, almond milk and vinegar, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two stages, stirring each time. Don’t overmix. Fold in the shredded coconut.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared bundt pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
6. Allow the cake to cool slightly, remove from pan and leave to cool completely on a rack.
7. Mix glaze ingredients together. Drizzle over cake and allow to set before cutting and serving.
Enjoy, and share your photos with us on Instagram or Facebook, tag us @stormandindia